Cooking in the Florida Heat

Cooking in the Florida Heat
Click Photo to like us on Facebook

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Condensed Chicken Stock Soup


I prefer to have fresh Chicken and Vegetable Stock in my refrigerator at all times. I use them in a variety of dishes such as soups, stews and even for boiling my homemade noodles or rice in. The extra flavor it imparts to whatever you’re using it in is fabulous! You can always add what you like and not use what you don’t like in stocks to make the flavor your own. Although I sometimes make clear stocks, this one is thick and rich and loaded with vegetables and is a condensed stock that is meant to be diluted with water or wine or both before adding it to your recipe!


  
2 cups fresh carrots
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 package of celery hearts chopped thick
2 large quartered Vidalia onions.
2 tablespoons celery seed 
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of Penzeys Spices Chicken Soup Base & Seasoning
2 tablespoons natural fresh honey
4 to 5 lb Whole Organic Free Range Chicken for chicken stock

Place all of this into a 10 to 13 quart dutch oven, cover with water and simmer it on the stove on a low heat until the chicken is cooked through. Remove and set aside the chicken to cool. Pour the liquid, veggies and herbs into your Vitamix, blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (I pour the hot mixture into my Vitamix in batches but you may want to let it cool before taking that step.) Once pureed, I put it all back into the pot to mix together. I reserve four cups aside for the soup for this meal and put the rest up in canning jars that are stored in my refrigerator or freezer. You can also can them for later use following proper canning instructions.

The beauty of this condensed Chicken Stock is that once you make it you’ve got it for many meals to come. Remember, you’re adding water to it to dilute it so it goes farther than a regular stock. High in flavor and fiber it’s a natural, healthy way to add vegetables into your diet.

Besides what you see left of the soup I made for dinner in these photos, I also put up 4 quarts of chicken stock for later use.

Directions for soup:
Add four cups condensed chicken stock back to the pot. I added two quarts of water to mine but you can add more or less. Add the pulled cooked chicken that you’ve removed from the bones into the stock. Heat thoroughly before adding noodles. I made a quick batch of homemade egg noodles that I cut into thick slices and dropped into the hot mixture. They cook in about 8 minutes. If adding rice, allow time for the rice to cook in the mixture. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with making your own soups and stocks. It is so simple but makes the dish so distinctly home made tasting. I love your love for food. Food is actually what saved my life, well cooking actually. Helped me focus on my true passions in life, then led to gardening and so on and so forth. What you are creating on this blog is amazing and I can't wait to try the pot de creme. Is it much like a creme brulee...I hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think about this recipe.