Cooking in the Florida Heat

Cooking in the Florida Heat
Click Photo to like us on Facebook

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lemon Honey



Fresh raw honey is a favorite in our home. I stir it into coffee and tea. I drizzle it on top of my homemade yogurt. And you'll find it in most of my sweet recipes, too. Raw honey can have a delicate floral aroma and flavor or a distinctively bold one. This will differ depending on the nectar source of the flowers they visited. There are so many things that can cause the color, scent and flavor to differ in varietal honey. And though it's delicious as is, I love adding flavor to an already perfect food.




My first foray into flavored honey was when I mixed my two favorite flavors together to create Vanilla Honey! That is the second most viewed recipe on this blog and as anyone who's tried it will tell you, it's absolutely delicious.

I've been wanting some lemon honey for my tea for a while now and decided today to make some. It's easy to make and here's what you'll need.

1 Fresh Lemon
Raw Local Honey
One very sharp peeler



Lemon peel is attached to a white pith that is quite bitter. So when you're peeling the lemon, make sure to get a very fine, thin peel without pith. Both sides of the peel should be the same color, yellow. It doesn't take much peel to make lemon honey. The more you add, the more lemon flavor you'll have. I suggest you start with a few pieces of peel to begin with. You can always add more if the flavor isn't strong enough for you. Keep in mind that the oils in the lemon peel are strong.



Add the peel to your jar of honey and stir for a minute or two. Put the lid on the jar and in a 1/2 hour, shake the honey jar. Repeat at 1 hour. At 2 hours, remove the lemon peel and discard it. The honey is now ready to be enjoyed. Honey is safely stored indefinitely on the shelf or counter without refrigeration.












3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love this post! Thank you for linking up at Successful Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for a Versatile Blogger award! Swing by my page to pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think about this recipe.